Task 10

ā€œOur environment and our memories make us who we are.ā€

My art at the moment is about identity and how one’s memories make up their identity. I want to express that all of lifeā€™s experiences, even the smallest ā€˜insignificantā€™ ones are what make us who we are. The places and the people that weā€™ve chosen to surround ourselves with play a role in shaping us into the person we are today. We learn from our past and learn from these memories of experience. Without memories, we have no reason, no emotion, no action and no identity.

Iā€™ve been mainly working in paints but have recently grown an interest in print, which Iā€™d like to develop further. Iā€™ve also taken an interest in expressing the theme of memories through film. I enjoy working with mixed media and layering different materials on top of each other. In the above artwork, I layered birthday cards, postcards, maps, book pages and other documents of significance and painted on top of them, making sure you could faintly see them underneath the paint- like glimpses of distant memories.