Morgan Watson, Fine Art, Task 11

My blog has transformed my way of thinking while I was not conscious of it. The tasks majorly increased in difficulty for me, however, due to valuable research, I found myself thoroughly engaged in a subject matter I am truly passionate about.

I found the most challenging of the tasks to be ā€˜Task 7,ā€™ of which we had to compare two texts; one by Leo Steinberg, and the other by Richard Serra. The reason for this was because of the vocabulary used by each artist and attempting to interpret the conclusions that each artist made. Although I found the Richard Serra text far more understandable, I still struggled to find the comparison between the two texts.

I became extremely engaged in ā€˜Task 9,ā€™ relating an aspect of theory to a piece of contemporary art. This task aligned perfectly with my ā€˜Manifestoā€™ project, as, in my study of Queer Theory and the Gender Binary, I was able to find such a wide variety of contemporary artists who live the subject matter. I became invested in the work of (Heather) Cassils from this area of study, and utilised his emotive performance ā€˜Becoming an Imageā€™ in relation to Queer Theory. However, I found ā€˜Task 10ā€™ allowed me to turn inwards on my practice and summarise the way I work and where my interests lie.

What I have taken away from this process is a more concentrated knowledge of how I work and what I want to produce work about.