Task Eight: The Birth Of Couleé

The Birth of Coulee

Photoshopped image replacing Venus with Shea Couleé

In my art I have discovered an interest in modern day society’s perception of women and how beauty has changed in comparison to  high renaissance art and how women were perceived. By replacing the image of Venus from ‘The Birth of Venus’ by Botticelli in 1484-86 with Shea Couleé- a drag queen from the TV show ‘RuPaul’s Drag Race’ I am implying that modern days society’s idea of what is beautiful has widened and a lot more is being expressed and accepted now.

I chose to replace a drag queen with Venus as drag queens are very concerned with the idea of beauty and show it through their emphasized makeup and their curvaceous figures through eccentric outfits.  They are also very expressive and glamorous when it comes to sex, desire and victory (as well as beauty)- all of which Venus is the goddess of. Therefore creating a connection between Venus and drag queens.  I also found that the image of Shea Coulee fitted perfectly as she is standing in an S-curve pose, which is a typical feature of high renaissance paintings and sculptures of figures. The impression that the drag queen is being ‘birthed’ and presented also fits as if it is a stage or a catwalk where a drag queen would normally present herself. I like this composition and the idea of glorifying the acceptance of drag queens and transgender people and how it is relatable to a lot of people as the subject is very big in today’s society.