Task 5 and 6

Sun Choi

http://showtime.arts.ac.uk/sunchoi

Sun Choi is a knitwear student who produced this fun and eclectic collection in 2013.

After looking into her collection in depth I have come to the understanding that she was inspired by children’s day dreams. She expressed ‘Children always imagine a fantasy like flying to the sky, swimming under the water like a fish and enjoying to hide at their own secret place.’ She aimed to ‘express their hope in fantasy’ through her collection with a fun and memorable backdrop as well as her bright statement outfits. Personally I really like her pieces and the way she has continued the fun nature through her final shots as well. The fun and heart-warming colours bring me back to the day dreaming as a child and making up fun and imaginative expressions of my thoughts. She captures all of these elements perfectly within her knits and allows you to remember things that reminded you of those feelings and emotions. I chose the image of the girl with the balloons due to the colour similarities to her designs as well as it continuing the idea of her inspiration and keeping a playful nature about the whole piece. I believe the image is entitling the young child to feel free and to channel her daydreams due to the fluffy clouds and distinctive colours being the main things the audience can bond with. The fluffy puffs in the sky make it feel like a dream due to them being faint and welcoming complimenting the fluffy areas and nature of Sun Choi’s collection. Balloons are typically children friendly due to them being linked within birthdays and celebrations for younger children. To conclude I believe Sun’s way of thinking towards her collection her research and influences behind it all complement and collaborate to form a successful collaboration.