Task 3- “Technology is the mortal enemy of art”

I disagree with this statement. Technology has helped to push forward art, leading to new disciplines such as graphic design, motion graphics and other digital media. It has also helped traditional art; and in my experience, without digital media I wouldn’t be able to produce my artwork. For example, I always make a photoshop mock up of a painting before I even start, to use as a reference. This allows me to have a guide to follow, and by editing multiple images together, I am not restricted by traditional art and I can paint things that don’t necessarily exist in the real world. the internet has greatly impacted the art world in a positive way- now artists don’t need to sell their words through galleries, they can have their own business online and reach customers that way.

However technology has threatened art, especially with photography. People no longer need their portraits painted, and realistic art isn’t as needed because we have cameras. This has lead to a decline in the traditional art market. I think this quote sums it up quite well – “Ever since, painting has in some ways functioned in dialogue with the camera. In some cases that dialogue takes the form of rejecting photographic realism, such as in the unnatural colour of Van Gogh.” However in my opinion this isn’t really a threat, and more so it is pushing art forward into new styles- Surrealism, Pop Art and Abstract are to name a few. I feel like because technology has evolved so fast many artists seem threatened by it.