Task 8

With the use of imagery found in a catalogue I photocopied the film strips of famous male and female actors and collaged the images together with a clear divide down the central point. I decided to use the images in this way to try to show the clear divide between men and women in all aspects of life including acting.

If you look at the particular imagery used to show famous men they have the appearance of being strong this is visible with the body language and facial expressions they are using such as, square shoulders, leaning towards whoever they are conversing with and the different looks of contempt. The suggestion that men are interested in violence is evident with the use of guns and aggressive facial stills which in some cases seem to be taunting the viewer. A still image in particular that caught my eye is on the bottom left, the man seems to be topless lying down and as a viewer it gives me the impression of him being the ruler as though you should be worshipping him.

The film stills used to show women make them seem vulnerable with the amount of shots showing them crying or looking troubled. Some of them appear to be on the phone and it makes you wonder who are they calling? Especially with the particular facial expressions they are wearing, it makes me think of a women being reliant on a man and perhaps always waiting for his call. It also looks at women from the side of being beautiful, in many of the shots the women are dressed up perhaps on a date.

Overall I think the focus has been on the stereotypes associated with men and women, men born to rule and protect and women born to be vulnerable and beautiful.