Task 5

Edward Ruscha

The Music from the Balconies, 1984

I was drawn towards this oil painting because of the big beautiful scene it depicted- it felt like Ruscha had created a portal from the gallery space to a whole other world, through this painting. The soft pinks, blues and oranges of the sky hinted that a sunset or sunrise was taking place, which made the scene so serene and wholesome. It felt as if I had entered the painting; I could almost see the grass blow in the wind, and I felt that the scene had surrounded me. After reading the white bold writing on the painting, the scene became tainted. There was such a strong contrast between the peacefulness of the scene and the ā€œnoise of sporadic acts of violence.ā€ I believed that the artist was trying to convey how something so natural could be destroyed by violence and that we shouldnā€™t take it for granted. Ruscha was inspired by J.G. Ballardā€™s novel ā€˜High Riseā€™- a dystopian novel about how the human society in a high rise building becomes driven by primal urges and re-creates a world ruled by the laws of the jungle- and used a quote from his book on this painting. He is portraying the conflict between man and nature by contrasting this quote with this rural scene, a theme that is often found in Ballardā€™s novels. The strong contrasts in this painting left me feeling lost. It felt as if Ruscha had made up a beautiful world which I became absorbed in and by writing those words, he ultimately ruined it, therefore successfully communicating the damage that man could do to nature and raising caution on this matter.