Task 4

The ‘Soul of a Nation: Art in the age of Black Power’ exhibition at Tate Modern presented 12 rooms, 150 works, and 60 artists and was one of the most influential exhibitions I had ever seen. Even before entering the exhibition I was faced with five big televisions, which played speeches by Malcolm X, Martin Luther King Jr, Angela Davis, Stokely Carmichael and James Baldwin, five of the most inspiring African American leaders during the Civil Rights Movement. This gave me a glimpse of what I was about to see once I walked through the exhibition doors. A wide and diverse range of black artists’ work was presented; from abstract expressionism to photography to sculpture. These artworks portrayed icons such as Muhammad Ali and movements such as the Black Panthers. It also shed light on some activists, writers, photographers and artists that were hardly known by the public, therefore giving them the recognition and acknowledgment that they deserved. It portrayed how pivotal, historical moments influenced black artists. All artworks provoked strong emotions, ranging from feelings of empathy to feelings of empowerment. The ideas, images and messages that were presented were thought provoking and enlightening and are actually still very relevant in today’s society.