a denim story

A denim story – inspiration from bellbottoms to Boyfriends

Current, E. Elliot, M. (2014) a denim story. New York Rizzoli

I chose this book because I have an interest in vintage clothing and how different styles developed throughout past eras and how people adapted and created different trends as a reflection of their fashion sense and own dispositions. This book tells a creative story about denim especially that of vintage Levi’s and takes the viewer on a journey of an intense love affair with denim, its historic value and how it has inspired decades of people in the design and styling industry.

“Every pair of jeans has a story and tells a story”. I feel as though everyone can relate to this quote from the book as I feel as though everyone has their favourite pair of jeans that they have a somewhat personal connection too, this book shows the aesthetic value of worn, loved and cherished denim jeans, the kind that has been worn over and over and shows a journey within them.

History Of Jeans

Mahe,Y. (2015) History of Jeans, 01/11/2017

I chose to look at this web article because I felt it held a strong link to the book I chose to reference. This website gives the viewer an introduction to jeans in high fashion moving onto the origin of blue jeans in particular giving strong links to ‘a denim story’ by talking about Levi Strauss’ impact on the fashion industry and the original 501 design. The article also goes onto to state how denim fell into the mainstream and the change in the fabrication systems throughout the passing decades and the results of this.

Sayonara, Levi Strauss: How Japan stole the title of world’s best denim jeans from California

Scott, D. (2017) Stuff, 01/11/2017

I chose to reference this newspaper article from ‘Stuff news’ in relation to the previous book and web article I looked at because much like those I feel as though this article shares the same element of going through a journey and taking the reader through a series of events related to the denim and jean industry. The article talks about Kojima; the home of the Betty Smith Jeans Museum. Where inside, an array of different jeans are hanging up as exhibits including a replica of the prototype for Levi’s 501 range. Again this article continues by discussing the origin story of Levi Strauss by allowing the viewer to follow them their journey around the museum using descriptive narrative skills and imagery of the museums main exhibits.

This task has not only allowed me to practise my referencing techniques but has also shown me how to easily find links within different sources in relation to the same theme and concept. I chose these sources due to my interest in using denim as a material to work with when designing and also because of my interest in vintage fashion and how old clothes and trends can be post modernised and adapted into high end and high street trends.