TASK 7/8 – REFLECTIVE WRITING

Upon reading this chapter, I have devised my own opinion ad have reflected on the opinion of others expressed to get a clear understanding of the issues raised in this period of time within the industry.

During the 18th century, there was a movement called ‘The Enlightenment’ also known as [1]‘The Age of Reason’, this was intellectually based on the progress within: the arts, philosophy and politics. The progress, being people’s freedom of opinion.

Can art and fashion be one?

Through people’s strong opinions and disagreements, it sparked the French Revolution. However, during this time, it was thought that the first fashion magazine to combine both fashion and art was published by Le Brun Tossa but it was short lived and ended in 1793 after already being renamed twice.

[2]“we wonder how concerns about taste and fashion were possible at all.” This quote shows that many were shocked that people were still being so open with their opinions and taste within this new magazine as all this freedom caused san up raw in France at the time.I believe this is why Miller and many others questioned whether it was a fashion magazine or a journal of taste as it didn’t last long. This caused a huge gap within the fashion media.

[3]“All of Europe was paying attention to fashion.” 1912 saw the rise in fashion magazines when Vogel inspired Bidou to take a risk in bringing back fashion and art magazines and for them to be seen as one.

Furthermore, the way that I interpreted it was that although Bidou wanted them to be seen equally, he still wanted art to be superior to fashion. This could possibly be because there was concerns that history could repeat it’s self and it would be an embarrassment on Bidou’s behalf in thinking it would be a success . To support this {4}“ the silhouettes which would become the true trendsetters for the season” and “Another set of watercolours would represent the outfits invented” This gives the impression that Bidou was subtly trying to separate the two which would later inform as to why the  fashion industry felt threatened by art in this period of time.

For my second source, I wanted to use a more modern source and show where this is still happening within the fashion media and how I’ve approached it. “fashion magazines can be addressed to men or to women, but also to both” I feel like there’s a lot of importance buried in this quote as I’ve noticed gender fluidity is being explored more and openly spoken about in this day and age than ever before. Especially in the fashion industry, for example a great number of brands/designers are doing unisex clothing .

Comparing the two sources, it shows us that if genders, which is a more serious and sensitive subject can be seen as one then why can’t fashion and art?

To conclude, I agree that fashion and art do in fact work together and is definitely more generalised in the 21st century and doesn’t get as criticised like it was when referenced within this chapter. I personally think the fashion industry is growing a lot faster now and there’s more of a demand for it in comparison to art.

Bibliography:

(1) Historywiz,available from:http://www.historywiz.com/enlightenment.htm, accessed 25th November

(2)Bartlett, D and Cole, S and Rocamora, A (2013) Fashion Media: Past and Present, 1st Edition, London/New York, Bloomsbury Academic. – Page 18 Line 17

(3) Bartlett, D and Cole, S and Rocamora, A (2013) Fashion Media: Past and Present, 1st Edition, London/New York, Bloomsbury Academic. – Page 19 Line 9

(4) Bartlett, D and Cole, S and Rocamora, A (2013) Fashion Media: Past and Present, 1st Edition, London/New York, Bloomsbury Academic. – Page 19 Line 25,26 and 27

[5]Rocamora,R,2009,fashioning the city Paris, fashion and the media,I.B. Tauris &Co Ltd – Page 61 Line 27