Task 6 by Bianca Schmittmann

I create all sorts of works that are based off a narrative. My pieces range in scale and some are visually louder than others, which makes a large studio space very useful. In the future, my ideal way of working would be in a studio like a shed or warehouse big enough for all sorts of media. It would also be ideal if the studio had windows so sufficient light can help with how I work but also create an atmosphere when I work during the day. I mainly paint and draw, but sculpture, film and print are also media that I work with and might want to create more works with. I also work very spontaneously, so this large space would give me the freedom of working on whatever I want whenever I want and conveniently.

I’ve been inspired by Paula Rego’s practice and working in a studio filled with sets, props and puppets to physically build a narrative to then draw or paint. I have also occasionally started working in this way, to build and lay out what I will draw from which is why that space is important. As I am currently still developing my practice, this mode of practice is still subject to change.