Jordan Warwick – Task 6: Mode of Practice

During my time at school, I was told to stay away from paint as I had more talent with chalk and charcoal. However, when I went to college I decided to finally experiment with paint and I fell in love with it.

Fast forward to the present day, I devise that my mode of practice still lies within the genre of painting, but the style I worked in was always very fast and rough with large, expressive brushstrokes whereas now I want to push myself and my patience into trying to replicate and emit the atmosphere of Renaissance paintings. Instead of creating three paintings in one day, I want to take the time to study a piece and work on it over a number of days, weeks or even months. I want my mode of practice to involve paintings in a range of oil paints, Gouache, watercolour and Acrylic and to emit a real sense of the elegance that paintings by Leonardo da Vinci and Michelangelo managed to create. However, the concepts behind these are unlikely to be traditionally Renaissance. My pieces will involve elegance but usually with an air of humour behind it. I enjoy the process of contrast and I believe a beautiful piece in the style of a Renaissance painting, with humorous undertones is something that contrasts together really well.