RCS: Task 3/4 – Academic Integrity and Plagiarism

Twiggy

[1]

I chose this book as I felt it perfectly linked with the theme that I chose in task 1/2 and is still a topic of fashion history that I’d love to explore and learn more about so I felt this task was a great segway for starting to do so. An image of Twiggy wearing a sporty shift dress[1] stood out to me as it instantly reminded me of the influence on today’s fashion and trends; the sporty stripes and shift dresses and colour blocking theme throughout. Wanting to expand my knowledge on what other trends from the 60’s were popular again today, I went online to search for more information. I discovered that many staple clothing items that nearly everyone of today own, are trends from the 60’s. These include mini skirts, knee-high boots, military style, leopard print and patterned tights[2].

60's Trends

[2]

Many of these trends are items I possess myself so the discovery of this was very enlightening. Finally, I looked for an article relevant to this idea and found one that related the 60’s style comebacks to fashion designers for the modern era like Marc Jacobs, Louis Vuitton, Christopher Kane and Topshop Unique. There was also a mention of 60’s style influence on the pop culture of now through the mention of the TV show ‘Mad Men’[3].This is an element I also want to look further into; the 60’s influence on not only fashion but also styling and setting of music videos & TV shows etc.

Article

[3]

Bibliography

[1] Sokolsky M., Muir R., and Pepper T. (2009) Twiggy: A Life in Photographs, St. Martin’s Place: National Portrait Gallery Publications, Page 38

[2] Sammy Davis (2012), 10 Ways the 1960’s Invented Today’s Fashion Trends, Sammy D Vintage, available from: http://sammydvintage.com/vintage-style/60s/fashion-in-the-1960s/ (Accessed 23rd October 2017)

[3] Armstrong L. (2013), The 1960’s: The decade of fashion that never went away, The Telegraph, 23rd February, Page 1