keep your friends close and your enemies closer (task 3)

”Technology is – the mortal enemy of art” Rodchenko (1922 pg. 220)

I’m not 100% sure what he means by that however I disagree, I’m probably biased since I consider myself a ‘digital’ artist but in the modern age we’re in technology is how most if not all artists get their start, posting their artwork on social media. You could say that having so much art at your fingertips over saturates the market but again I disagree, I think that not only doe sit inspire new artists but it raises the bar somewhat giving artists like me inspiration and goals e.g ‘wow I really want to be as good as this artist’ or ‘I really like this artists style’ and so on.

You also must consider what technology has done for art in terms of equipment, things like graphics tablet allow for a higher quality of art whether you think having the infinite ability to make mistakes with virtually no consequences equates to laziness is up to you, however you could say such things about computers vs typewriters or Polaroid vs the digital camera.

I personally would like to believe that technology has led art into an interesting and experimental age where any person can access an online gallery and every artist would have an audience. I think there is a reason that all the ‘greatest’ artists died only for their art to become popular years later, so to my modern ear saying that technology is the mortal enemy of art sounds somewhat foolish.