Task 5/6- Alessandro Michele Gucci AW17

Moodboard featuring 60's Sci Fi inspiration

Moodboard featuring 60’s Sci Fi inspiration

4be13c4368a2497b44dd59efecd1990d

Image of the 2008 Stan and Vince poster

AAHTUAAAJUA7IAIAAAAAATIB6QA7777774AAAAAASAAVQAQA

Stan and Vince Jurassic Park

Creature_from_the_Black_Lagoon_poster-1

Original Poster not 3D

1 sheet a

Original Poster with 3D.

Creature from the Black Lagoon

The image from my moodboard that I have chosen to review is the poster from the film ‘Creature of the Black Lagoon’. As well as inspiration to Gucci, it is also a huge inspiration for my knitwear portfolio project. After researching further into this image I discovered that this poster is not an original from the 1950’s. This poster was made in 2008 to advertise the release of the original movie with new 3D technology. The artist of the poster Stan & Vince, has also recreated posters for Jurassic Park (another film which inspired Alessandro Michele) in a very similar style. The digital style of the poster is different to the hand drawn original, however you can still see the connection of them both. Keeping the original style of 1950’s artwork made it hard to notice that the peter was a remake. I am glad that i researched further into this image as I would have had the incorrect information about the poster.

I began to look closer into the original poster and found that the original film was released in 35mm Polarised 3D strips. They also created a range of 3D posters however they were never issued. Attached are images of the original posters from before and after the 3D snip. This original 3D poster is one of the most sort after poster from the 1950’s due to its limited number of issues. In 2015 one copy sold for $20,315. The images of the original poster, Albert Kallis, has done a number of sic fi posters for other films. The brain Eaters, Invasion of the Saucer-men and Not of this Earth are a few of his posters which show his clear style. It was great to see the connection to the poster, film and the Gucci collection, it shows how research can be translated into fashion.