Task 3/4: Academic Integrity and Plagiarism:

For this task at hand, I decided to pick a book in which wasn’t traditionally linked to fashion to broaden my thinking on the subject and to look into a more obscure idea and the notion to develop further. So when I went searching in the WSA library, I came across this book ‘“ doing a Dyson” by Tony Muranka and Nick Rootes’ which instantly caught my eye due to it’s quite individual and zany design concept – as it’s aesthetic is quite non-traditional and abstract. This particular book is about the story of ‘James Dyson’ British inventor, industrial designer and founder of the iconic and well-profound Dyson company. I found it particularly intriguing purely on the basis that it contained blueprints of designs and imagery/photographs which were fully enriched with interesting details not just about the company and ‘Dyson’s design ideas but about his life and how he became the most influential designer of his time – being the first to invent the Dual Cyclone bagless vacuum cleaner.

A book '-doing a dyson' by Tony Muranaka.

Book: A book ‘-doing a dyson’ by Tony Muranaka. (Muranaka, Tony (1996) doing a dyson, Dyson Appliances Limited).

The next stage in this plagiarism and integrity research task was to look into a website which links in with the book I researched into, by doing so online I found a runway collection in which James Dyson collaborated with widely renowned fashion designer Issey Miyake. This was ‘Issey Miyake’s Spring/Summer 2008 Runway Collection’ on the theme of “The Wind” in which James Dyson produced and installed a large wind machine on the runway to show and see how the interaction of wind affected the garments – he was also the stage manager in which meant he was in-charge of the set of the Paris Collection show. Issey Miyake’s team took influences from James Dyson’s vacuum cleaner and dismantled its structure and analyzed its construction in the search for new fresh and inventive perspectives on shape and formation of new ideal garments in which expands the realm of possibilities for wind and the garments to co-exist with each other.

A website displaying the 'Issue Miyake' and 'James Dyson' collaboration Paris Runway Fashion Show Collection, linked to the book.

Website: A website displaying the ‘Issey Miyake’ and ‘James Dyson’ collaboration Paris Runway Fashion Show Collection. (Fairs, Marcus (2007) Dezeen (2006) Available from: https://www.dezeen.com/2007/10/05/the-wind-by-issey-miyake-with-james-dyson).

Lastly, I found this article which linked in with the Dyson company as it was about a London-based designer known as ‘Ryan Yasin’ whose background in aeronautical engineering helped him develop sustainable clothing to fit babies through to their toddler years. This article led onto explain how his origami-inspired range of children’s clothing in which was made from durable pleated fabric which in itself expands to fit growing babies and toddlers, therefore, being awarded the prestigious ‘James Dyson award’ just of the age of 24. As a little background information, the James Dyson Award is an international design award which celebrates, encourages and inspires the next generations of design innovators/engineers.

An article written by 'Rebecca Smithers' about a London-based designer winning the James Dyson Award 2017.

Article: An article written by ‘Rebecca Smithers’ about a London-based designer winning the James Dyson Award 2017. (Smithers, Rebecca (2017) Origami-inspired clothing range that grows with your child wins Dyson award. The Guardian, Thursday 7th September 2017).

References:

Images:

1. https://www.espares.ie/product/es965976/doing-a-dyson-book – This is just where I found an image of the book I researched into just so I can see the look and design of it for reference.
  2. https://www.dezeen.com/2007/10/05/the-wind-by-issey-miyake-with-james-dyson/ – This was the site in which I found the Paris Fashion Runway Show Collection inspired by James Dyson’s vacuum/hoover designs.
  3. https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/sep/07/origami-inspired-clothing-range-that-grows-with-your-child-wins-dyson-award – This link is where I found the article I researched into.