Visual Research task three- 1920s

h

Fiell, CF and Dirix, ED (2011) Fashion Sourcebook 1920s. London: Field.

f

Leaper  CL (March 29th 2017) Marie Claire. Available from: https://blackboard.soton.ac.uk/bbcswebdav/pid-3651959-dt-content-rid-3314693_1/courses/ARTD1097-34661-17-18/Wk%203%20RCS%20Academic%20Integrity%20LH.pdf [23rd October 2017]

r

Hall JH, (2014) Coco Chanel the Nazi spy: New document reveals that fashion designer worked for Hitler’s military intelligence. Daily Mail online 2nd December 2014.

I decided to explore the 1920s as I was really intrigued by the ‘Roaring 20s’ and how the 1st World War affected fashion. I have always been interested in the style and elegance that the women wore around the time of the flapper girl and who were the main fashion influences on the younger women.

I started off looking through books in the library; Fashion Sourcebook 1920s showed original photographs and drawing illustrations. From researching this I referenced all the necessary places and names in order to Harvard reference correctly. I was curious to see who the major designers were during this era so I went online and researched ‘fashion designers in 1920s’ in google. Marie Claire had a great webpage specifically allocated to showing viewers who were the key designers for the success of 1920s fashion. I took a photo of the web page and noted down the authors name, when it was published, the title of the webpage, the UCL link and the date that I accessed the page to Harvard reference. The main designer that I was most interested in from the Marie Claire website was Coco Chanel and her Little Black Dress designed in 1926. I wanted to find more information about Coco Chanel, not necessarily to do with fashion but more about what she did and where she came from. I found an interesting newspaper article from the Daily Mail on Chanel stating that during the time of the war she was a Nazi spy and worked for Hitler’s military intelligence. It was really interesting to read about her private life and not just about her design company and finding out her influence and actions during World War 2.