Task 3/4

I began my research in the University’s library. I was captivated by a book written about the work of the fashion designer Oscar De La Renta, written by Andre Leon Talley. I was interested to see how fashion designers in our modern era continue to incorporate corset style bodices into their designs.

Talley, A. L, Wintour, A, (2015) Oscar De La Renta: His Legendary World Of Style, New York, Skira Rizzoli Publications, Inc.

To further my research into this subject, I searched the internet for a website which would inform me more on the subject. I came across an article written on Vogue.com which was written about the corset being a statement fashion accessory in recent years. Naomi Pike discusses how the way a corset is worn has changed from when it was worn under clothing for shape around the waist to being worn as an accessory. Pike writes that the corset is ‘an accessory, it’s not to be worn in lieu of a top’. (Pike, N, (2016), Condé Nast,  Crushing On The Corset, Vogue.com,  Available from: http://www.vogue.co.uk/gallery/corset-celebrity-trend-style Condé Nast (Accessed 25th October 2017)

Finally, I discovered a newspaper article by theguardian.com which furthered my research in to the reasons for corsets being back in fashion. The newspaper article concluded that wearing a corset in modern society is a  feminist statement and contrasts to how women were forced to wear them in the past so their figures would appear more ladylike for males. Ellie Violet Bramley writes ‘What feels new and potentially feminist about some of the current corset variations is their lack of adhere to traditional ideals of the female form.’ (Bramley, E. V, 2017, Let Loose: How the Corset is being reclaimed by the fashion industry, theguardian.com, Saturday 1st April 2017)