Task 3/4 – Academic Integrity

IMG_5441[1] I chose the book Eco-chic the Fashion Paradox by Sandy Black. The reason I chose this book is because I am interested in environmental/sustainable fashion. I love to see all the different ways fashion companies use environmental strategies to help minimise the amount of waste they are creating within this type of industry. This being both the footprint and waste areas; as this is a very fast-forward industry where what is fashionable is changing extremely quickly.

Screen Shot 2017-10-24 at 14.22.12

[2] Looking at multiple different sites on designers who use sustainability to promote their sustainable clothes, I thought this was a good website because it tells you about multiple different designers who are interested in creating sustainable clothing. These vary between jewellery, garments and bags. Consumers are asking more for sustainable clothing as people are becoming more aware of the damage the industry has on the environment. I think this is important to know about as designer’s are trying to make a change for their company for the better. Screen Shot 2017-10-24 at 14.32.07

[3] Looking at newspaper articles about the impacts that the fashion industry has on the environment, and what designers are doing to help minimise this impact, I came across this article, which contains statistic and facts about the damage. I thought this was a great article to read if you are interested in this area of fashion. Telling us about the water production and how  synthetic fibres are one of the biggest problems, and are found in 60% of clothing, producing three times more CO2 than organic cotton, taking decades to decompose and badly polluting marine life. It’s interesting reading about just how sever this problem is, with many people being unaware of the actual effect it is having.

[1] Black, S (2008), Eco-Chic the Fashion Paradox, London: Black Dog Publishing.

[2] Dawson Hoff, V (2014), 7 Eco-Friendly Fashion Labels To Know Now. Available from: http://www.elle.com/fashion/g8913/best-eco-friendly-fashion-brands/?slide=3 [Accessed 24th October 2017]

[3] Walker, R (2017), Fashion in new bid to be truly sustainableThe Gardian. (Accessed from: 24th October 2017)