Task 1/2- Online Resources

With an interest in architecture I started looking books based on interesting buildings. I found this  book Barcelona by Christopher Woodward in the architect section of the Winchester school of art library. facilities. I was attracted to this book as I know Barcelona has a number of unique buildings.

Looking through the book I found this photograph of Casa Amatller, which was photographed by Josep Puig I Cadafalch. This building caught my eye by the roofing detail.

After finding this picture I read more about it, and the photographer. Puig I Cadafalch’s studied architecture in Barcelona, he was influenced by Domènech i Montaner, in his early Modernista period.

1) Photographed by Josep Puig i Cadafalch

After finding the picture of Casa Amatller I started researching into fashion garments with structure or inspired by architecture. I found this image of this fashion garment by looking up designers who were influenced by architecture and structure I found this designer, Noa Raviv.

This image relates to my secondary research of Casa Amatller by the grid print on the garment. The grid I think relates to the roofing of Casa Amatller by the angles, which is why I choose.

Researching more into Noa Raviv, who have used integrated 3D printed elements in their garments. This designer was influenced by distorted digital drawings. To create the gridded print Noa Raviv printed and stitched lines into fabrics to recreate 3D drawings. There print patterns were warped and stretched across parts of the garments to create an optical illusion. This effect I like as it attracts you more to the garments. Finding more Noa Raviv, they were also inspired by classical Greek sculpture to create a modern day version.

2) Noa Raviv 3D hard copy collection

To expand my knowledge of Casa Amatller I started researching more of its history and found an archive of Casa Amatller. Josep Puig i Cadafalch was commissioned by Adolf Mas Ginesta to photograph his architectural work. Puig I Cadafalch also helped Adolf Mas Ginesta to define the organisational system of the archive.

3) Mas archive of Case Amatller

This research has expanded my knowledge on architecture and buildings and how they have a influence on the fashion world. This research has shown me strong link between structure in fashion and everyday objects such as buildings.This research has given me more inspiration with structure and architecture and made me more interested in it.

Bibliography 

1. Christopher Woodward (1992). Barcelona (buildings of Europe), Manchester University Press.

2) ALICE HARRISON. (2016). NOA RAVIV: 3D PRINTED HARD COPY COLLECTION. Available: http://www.peopleofprint.com/fashion/noa-raviv-3d-printed-hard-copy-collection/.

3) http://en.fundacionamatller.org/archivo-mas/historia/