TASK 2/3 – ONLINE RESOURCES

For my first pathway (knit) I’ve decided to focus on architecture and public transport interiors. I’m drawn towards bright colours and repeat patterns. I think we often dismiss the full depths of our transport, so it would be a fun idea to put interior and fashion together to get playful knitwear outcomes. i will do this through use of appliquĂ© and knitting techniques.

[1] charcoal on paper 37.3 x 24.8

The image on the right is from a book called ‘The abc’s of the Bauhaus and design theory.’ Max Pfeiffer-Watenpfuhl was a student at Bauhaus in Germany, he created this simple charcoal drawing in 1920. It reminded me of the geometric designs from the 80’s which I’ve been looking at for my first pathway (knitwear) so this links in well.

Wallace Sewell is a UK based company that specialises in the weave industry, making everything from scarves to rugs.  In 2010, they won a competition to collaborate with ‘Transport For London’ in designing the moquettes for the underground.

116-large

(2) Transport for London – underground moquette

This is the most commonly known design on the underground. The use of primary colours gives a very post modern feel to the overall design and they smartly merged 4 of the main London landmarks (Big Ben, London Eye, St. Paul’s Cathedral and Tower Bridge).  This can only be recognised through great attention to detail. Not only that, they designed many of the scarves in the Tate galleries over the United Kingdom.

Furthermore, Sewell’s work was immensely influenced by the Bauhaus art college for their simple, yet effective graphics and this can clearly be identified throughout their woven designs.Although, many could argue that they’re bored of seeing the same design, i personally think the design it’s self can never really age.

Finally, I chose to look at a similar website that linked to Wallace and Sewell’s work as a vast amount of their work is on there.The London Transport Museum holds a lot of textile based works that have been commissioned and can

(3) overground moquette desing – wool rug

also be purchased online.There’s a huge range of unique furnishings that will give your home a little bit of London but it comes at a steep price. There’s something really sentimental about this website as the materials used aren’t available anywhere else.

In conclusion, I found this research task helpful for my current project as I’ve found new sources and artists that link to my work. Not only that, it’s inspired me to look at different websites which i wouldn’t normally look besides Pinterest which I think I sometimes overuse.

When researching, I also find it beneficial  to cross over between the arts as it can broaden my initial concept in ways I wouldn’t expect and takes you down many different avenues. For example, I tend to look at photography and graphics to help inspire me with more innovative ideas for fashion and print.

Bibliography

(1) Book – the abc’s of the Bauhaus and design theory

(2)(2010),wallaceandsewellavailable from: http://www.wallacesewell.com/project/transport-for-london–underground-moquette   [accessed 14th October]

(3)itmuseumshop,available from: https://www.ltmuseumshop.co.uk/homeware/doorstops-mats-rugs/overground-moquette-design-wool-rug [accessed 14th October]