Comparing Images

Photography Vs Graphics

Lorena Cosba ‘Possibility with students-a self portrait, and a contrasting image to show what's underneath.’

Having studied photography and how images taken in black and white can have as much meaning as a coloured, I feel this image suggests the old vs. new.

In this image by Lorena Cosba, ‘Possibility with students-a self portrait, and a contrasting image  to show what’s underneath.’ the old is highlighted by the black and white and the new, the ageing woman is highlighted via coloured image.

Having developed my skills in the darkroom before and with film cameras to create black and white photographs, I find this image interesting as the mix of colour and non-colour make it stand out. The tears in this image also are interesting as it made me think why the artist/photographer did it.

As technology has progressed, the black and white image is less used and the coloured images taken by quality cameras are used more as they perfectly capture the moment.

Furthermore I believe that the meaning behind the image is that as time passes, the older people get and the more the world moves on.Scott Townsin ‘You’ve Got Enough on Your Plate’

In contrast, I have selected a piece of Graphic Design by Scott Townsin, ‘You’ve Got Enough on Your Plate’. In this image, text is used to describe the emotion of, overwhelmed. The jumbled up words on the poster are legible however, messy. I would describe this as organised chaos.

I believe the two images are alike as they both have scattered sections, for example, the letters are scattered across the page in the poster and the rips are also in a scattered format on the layered photograph.

Lorena Cosba. 2017. Pinterest. [ONLINE] Available at: https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/449797081514762417/?autologin=true. [Accessed 17 October 2017].

Scott Townsin. 2017. Pinterest. [ONLINE] Available at: https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/275282595954221801/. [Accessed 16 October 2017].