How to use online resources?

Book ā€“ After Auschwitz, responses to the Holocaust in Contemporary Art.

Image from book ā€“ Henri Pieck, Behind the Barbed Wire C.1945.

When searching for an image I decided I wanted something different and not Fashion related. I found this book on Contemporary Art but what makes it more interesting is that artists have created pieces of art based on a real life historical event. Everyone knows how WW2 was a big historical event and how it changed the lives of many but I think that the Holocaust was the worst part of it, and how the Jews were treated especially in concentration camps. This book has artwork based on Auschwitz itself which is very moving and life like with how the artists have captured the emotions.

I found a piece of art created by Henri Pieck in 1945; it captures Jews in Auschwitz behind barbed wire in their striped pyjamas which they had to wear during their stay in the concentration camp. Although the image is in black and white I feel like I can imagine the colours behind it, for example; the striped pyjamas dirtied in mud and filth which they have been living in for weeks or more, the bony figures where they are starving and havenā€™t eaten in a while, the dirt on their faces where they havenā€™t washed for days on end and the emotionless facial expressions where they no longer feel the pain and hunger as theyā€™ve gotten used to it.Ā Ā  Ā 

This image is also factual and tells an historical story for each and every generation to understand, but it also brings controversy on how the Jews were treated in concentration camps.

For my next step Iā€™ve taken the object of the striped pyjamas to further my knowledge and what I can discover from the object.

Website – http://www.theholocaustexplained.org/ks3/the-camps/how-were-the-camps-run/uniform-and-clothing/#.WeJLedQrITh

My next source was the website above which is where I found original photographs of Jews wearing striped pyjamas.

This website gives plenty of information on what happened to the Jews once they arrived at the concentration camps and how they werenā€™t protected enough in what they wore which made them contract illnesses and even lead to death. With the website using real life photos it gives a good insight to what really happened.

Museum ā€“ Imperial War Museum, London http://www.iwm.org.uk/exhibitions/iwm-london/the-holocaust-exhibition

Looking on the website the Imperial War Museum has an exhibition on the Holocaust and explains everything you want to know about it. It gives real life stories with short videos as well to give more of an insight. You can also read stories told by previous inmates which are very interesting. But what makes it all connect together is the ā€˜Artists responses to the Holocaustā€™ exhibit which gives the link from where I originally started with the image from the book.

Since starting at the beginning with the book image I feel like Iā€™ve learnt a lot. But I also feel lucky for the century I live in now. I donā€™t understand how humans could treat other humans with such barbarity just because of their religion. Itā€™s something that will stay in the history books for quite a while but will also teach generations to come.