Task1

Idol A

The body of my Idol A sculpture is clay which was formed by clenching the clay then putting it into a microwave to dry and keep the structure. I removed clay where I wanted to put a strip of lead in, I melted the lead and poured it into the cavity. During this process a flame caught the grass and the smoke had stained part of the sculpture a light brown like a cigarette stained ceiling which I thought was such a beautiful colour so I piled grass under the sculpture and lit it turning the sculpture light brown from the smoke then I sanded the surface to make the stains less dominant which finished it to look old and worn.
I added bits of emulsion paint in various places because I liked the clean white blended on the off-white surface. I painted an orange square in oil paint then polished it and the rest of the surface.
The latex was added after I finished my foundation show because I was sceptical about adding it but to me, it’s everything, before it had latex on it was my least favourite thing but I think it brings the whole thing together.
I researched into Venus figurines, Louise Bourgeois, Marcel Duchamp, and Kanye West’s Yeezus album and art for inspiration. The shape is similar to Jean Arp’s sculptures and the colours remind me of Andy Warhol’s soup prints.

Image result for Louise Bourgeois latexImage result for Marcel Duchamp erotic objectsRelated imageImage result for Andy Warhol’s soup printsImage result for Venus figurines

I liked my sculpture so much I wanted to make more by forming a silicone mould of it. I made sculptures in different materials like pulp, papier mache, cement, plastic, jesmonite, clay, but they weren’t as good as the original they were all off because the silicone moved too much and it took away the spontaneity of the original but I liked that they were like a parody of my own motif. The most curious cast I attempted to construct was formed of gelatine and titanium dioxide which is two of three parts of the ingredients for pill capsules. I wanted to make a cast that would be a hollow shell of this material that would slowly degrade but the mixtures weren’t successful.