Terminal Bar – Stefan Nadelman (task 1)

The 20 minute short film Terminal Bar is comprised of a series of stills heavily edited and narrated over to create a narrative. Each incredible picture taken over the course of ten years we most likely didn’t even see them all during those 20 minutes.
Sometimes a picture would fade into another using a shared scene within the 2 photographs creating the illusion of film, I didn’t even notice till the second time I watched.

The narrator changes depending on who wrote the article the text is being lifted from, either that or different voices were used to convey different narrative tone from scene to scene.
The music like the narrators was used throughout the film both for tone and story telling for example when Nadelman said about turning the jukebox off the music stopped making both me and presumably the patrons of the bar sad to see it go. I also noticed the music changed when the bar ‘went gay’ the music became more upbeat and the accompanying images showed the bar goers happy as well.

It was especially interesting to hear what Nadelman had to say about the individuals in the photos, as nice as they were to look at it gave you a real feel for who went to the bar and what it was like. Even with the newspaper clipping I don’t think the short film would have been nearly as enjoyable without the little anecdotes.

Overall a very charming film almost makes me with there was a book made of all the pictures each with their own short story.