Task 6 – Modes of practice

My work on this project started out as a simple synesthesia practice with my boyfriend who is a classical musician. The project’s aim was to find a common ground between painting and classical violin. Through some paintings and various videos and some experimenting with making music together evolved this project into something that’s more about making music from a fine art perspective rather than the connection between music and painting.

What started out as paintings trying to imitate the music and the sound of the violin slowly started to become something that instead wants to create music and wants to use the violin and the musician instead. For this new idea, I photocopied my boyfriend’s chords and cut them up into small pieces so I can rearrange them in different orders, making it a sort of hand-made remixing practice.

Similar to how the film-editors worked long ago.

To make my collages I chose the works of the English composer Thomas Campion who is usually considered a renaissance composer and mixed it with European Baroque composition’s most notably with Bach to prove that he was very well influenced by European, mostly Italian composer’s work and he was way ahead of his time.