task 4

I went to see ā€˜Giacomettiā€™ at the Tate Modern which was showcasing the Swiss-born artist Alberto Giacomettiā€™s work. Granted, Giacometti remains perhaps most well-known for his distinctive bronze elongated figures which are practically instantaneously recognisable. However, in this exhibition, he is shown as an artist with an interest in surfaces and materials, with a number of rooms showcasing countless pieces using a wide-range of media. The display consisted of books, plasters, and sketches not often seen before. The showing takes the spectator on a jam-packed five decadesā€™ development of the artistā€™s working lifetime. For instance, the show includes his later works such ā€˜Walking Man Iā€™ completed in 1960 but moreover includes former works such as ā€˜Head of a Womanā€™ (Flora Mayo) made in 1926. It is also obvious during the course of the show that his subjects were regular, for example, one of his greatest used models was his younger brother Diego and as I walked about the exhibition I observed loads of paintings and sculptures using him as a model. Throughout the viewing of this exhibition, I thought about the total mass of work Giacometti had produced over his lifetime. In my opinion, the exhibition is celebratory of just how hard working the artist was. The exhibition was organised by Tate Modern and ā€˜Fondation Alberto et Annette Giacometti, Parisā€™ with both sculptures and paintings. For example some of the paintings where ā€˜Diego Seated 1948ā€™ and ā€˜Caroline in a Red Dress c.1964-5ā€™, as well as sculptures including ā€˜Falling Man 1950ā€™, ā€˜The Hand 1947ā€™ and ā€˜Man Pointing 1947ā€™. Overall, the exhibition included more than 250 pieces.