Task 1

Making these pictures was a direct response to the idea that artists need to have money to produce artwork because creating artworks costs
money, which I don’t have only bills.

To make these pictures I cut my letters and bills into pieces and made collages from them using paint as a glue. I used my bills or other legal documents I had to send to my potential employers or landlords to find a flat and a job in the UK as it became harder and a more closely bureaucratized task after Brexit.

The pictures represent my frustration with fighting these useless fights with these non- existent figures who only appears to me as email addresses and my fading hope under the bureaucratic pressure.

As I started to work on these collages they naturally became abstractions of the castle from Franz Kafka’s novel “The Castle”.

The Castle’s protagonist only known as K struggles against the local bureaucracy in a way that feels very familiar to me and in a way that I can identify with it. The book remains unfinished because of Kafka’s death so the castle in question remains a mysterious force.

To my surprise what was started out as a way to take out my anger slowly became something conscious and something I was interested in developing. In the future, I am planning to send these pictures of employer targets and then make similar collages from the responses I’ll get to further develop this project.