Task 6 – New Mode Of Practice

The mode of practice I would like to explore and experiment with is embroidery. I’ve always been interested in embroidery, after following artists such as Emillie Ferris, with her highly realistic and detailed animal portraits, and Cinder & Honey’s minimalistic creations, I’ve always wanted to try and bring that into my work somehow. I’ve only recently acquired the tools I’ve needed for it and so far am enjoying it immensely. A lot of my work up to now how consisted of mainly either line drawings or detailed paintings. I’ve began to explore texture more within my paintings in the past few years and think that could be something I could explore within the help of embroidery. I thought I could create some interesting paintings by combining these two methods by stitching directly onto a painting to add a new layer of texture. This is similar to the artist Ipek Koprulu who stitches over photographs she has taken. With the thread I can layer and manipulate it quite easily to build texture as well as detail, which is something I try to achieve in my paintings, so by using embroidery as well I could bring it up to a new level.