Caroline Perkins: Task 6, Modes of Practice

Task 6

Modes of Practice,

I start with a sculptural form, a 3D design or a found object, Ā develop a motif as a metaphor, linking to my life experiences. I will explore the sculptural element so that it stands alone as an artefact . Ā I then develop meaning from the form and represent that as a 2D image on the surface of a pre-treated photographic canvas. The image selected will have meaning through its context within the framework to the sculptural form. which infuses the 2D with a personal autobiographical context. Ā Colour onto the canvas through the printing medium using Ā a range of techniques to obscure Ā the image on the photographic canvas. The resulting 2D work remains in a flatbed style where it doesnā€™t represent the real world there is intentionally no meaning to any accidental depth of field, no top or bottom no right way up.Ā  I need to obscure my own autobiography with paint in order to remain private and yet to reveal enough elements to enable a viewer to identify the everydayness of troubles that fall on us all like erraticā€™s falling from an ice glacier. The randomness of unasked for tragedies.Ā  Throughout the entire process the made artefact Ā remains hidden in plain sight, a representational metaphor, a palimpsest to cover and curate my own work.Ā  Then to daringly challenge myself to expose more of myself and overlay the work with text that has meaning for me.

Ā