Terminal Bar

While watching Terminal Bar, a film produced by Stefan Nadelmanā€™s,Ā one thing that caught my attention was how the piece flowed from frame to frame. The smooth transitions gave the illusion of it being a standard video and for me is what makes theĀ Winner for Best Short at the 2003 Sundance Film Festival stand out the most.

Another thing I picked up on was towards the end when face shots of Terminal Bar regulars were displayed. Two or more almost identical frames were used instead of a still image, the flickering of these similar images created a three-dimensional layer and brought a lot of life to the people in a very simple way, something I believe the film wanted to portray. These little movements are very small but have a huge and meaningful impact. The underlying musical beat also aided in the flow of the film as it kept it going at a steady pace, this was also helped by how in time the images/frames were with the beat.

The social commentary is broken up with a kaleidoscope of visuals which in an abstract sense gives the film more of a story and makes it more entertaining, this visual kaleidoscope is also complimented by the format of the film which simply consists of a beginning, middle and end. This chronological element, combined with the smoothness of the frames and music really creates something that is interesting to watch and reflective of the story being told. The beat and movement keep you tied in and for me are what make it a very clever film.