Who is the 2016-17 Peer Mentoring Coordinator? Kirstie Guildford!

Kirstie blog pic

HI everyone, I’m Kirstie and I am about to go into my final year as a BA History student. I am also the Peer Mentor Coordinator for this year!

My interest in Mission Employable can be traced back to my first year at Southampton, when I met Dr Eleanor Quince. She inspired me to take hold of the opportunities I had at Southampton, and after being both a Mentee and a Mentor, it seemed natural for me to go as far as I could with the Peer Mentoring Scheme. On a professional level, I want to improve my communication skills, whether that be adhering to the correct email etiquette or in meetings with academics.

On a personal level, I find the thought of starting a project and seeing it through to the end very exciting; it is an immediately visible version of my own progress and achievements. Results-wise, I hope that I will positively impact upon my fellow students in two ways. I want to improve the University experience of my Mentees, from making the most of Southampton City, to feeling confident about their studies. I also want the Mentors to be influenced in a professional sense. Being a Mentor provides you with a wide range of highly valuable skills that you pick up without even noticing, and being the person to facilitate this would make all my work worthwhile.

So far, it has been a revealing experience, as I already feel like I have learnt so much. I look forward to the rest of my journey!