Ellen Blacow, HUMA1036 & HUMA2014 intern, introduces herself

Coffee Break during the July Open Days
Coffee Break during the July Open Days

Hi, Iā€™m Ellen and I have just finished the second year of my BA Degree in Modern History and Politics.Ā  Alongside Lizzy Oliver, I am also an Educational Development Officer for Mission Employable, specifically working on HUMA1036 and HUMA2014 for the coming academic year.

Having been a Peer Mentor in my second year of University and attended the Careers events held both by the Careers Service and the History Society, I was aware of the great work done by Mission Employable.Ā  I had been looking for a summer internship for some time, but couldnā€™t find one that I really felt passionate about ā€“ until this one was posted on MyCareer!Ā  This internship has already shown me the (tiring, but) rewarding nature of the 9-5 working lifestyle and I have formed great working relationships with the rest of the team.

Iā€™m hoping this internship will help me to improve my project management skills and provide me with experiences that I can share with employers when I start to apply for graduate schemes early in 2016/17.

I am currently 3 weeks into my internship and, having examined the module feedback from last year, I am really trying to make more bespoke content for the first and second year modules, whilst keeping them interactive and interesting.Ā  I can already see successes, even over small things like formatting and condensing of information. In the last week, I have spent a portion of my time researching the different opportunities available inside and outside of the University, and I consequently have decided to take my ā€˜holiday timeā€™ to volunteer at a festival ā€“ something I wouldnā€™t have known about before starting this internship!