Recent Graduate Caitlin & the ‘Welcome to Our World’ Festival

Final WOW logo-01Hello everyone!

My name is Caitlin and I’m a recent graduate of the Faculty of Humanities, having finished my degree in Spanish and Portuguese last summer.

Last April, with final essays and exams looming, I started to wonder what would lie ahead for me post-graduation, other than no longer surviving off Crunchy Nut Cornflakes and getting reacquainted with the almost-forgotten concept of ‘free time’.

It was in the last week of the Easter holidays that I heard about the University’s Excel Internship Scheme and found an internship that I really liked the sound of: planning a multicultural festival as Projects Officer for the Intercultural Connections Southampton project at the Centre for Languages, Linguistics and Area Studies (LLAS) on Avenue Campus.

I started work with LLAS in June and spent the summer working with an interesting, dynamic group of people, all passionate about the study of Languages and Humanities. Each day I was able to use the skills I gained in my degree in researching similar events, presenting my ideas to staff and students and writing copy for external communications and publicity. Although I was sad to leave the project at the end of my 12 week internship, in December the LLAS team invited me to return to the project to help with the final stages of running what is now the ‘Welcome to Our World’ Festival.

We’re now in the final week before WOW goes ahead and we’re all working as hard as we possibly can to make sure our event, which celebrates the cultural diversity of the University and city of Southampton, goes off without a hitch!

Do come along on Saturday 6th February for a day of intercultural performances, talks, debates, workshops and more!

For more information, please visit our website (http://blog.soton.ac.uk/ics/about-the-project/festival/) and our Facebook event (https://www.facebook.com/events/462094157312810/470947986427427/).