An update from Charlotte…

Hello everyone,

As we are now two-thirds of the way through our internship, I thought I would give you an update on my progress!

My research on Group Activity is going well, and I have continued to contact universities who demonstrate interesting and innovative ways to make their students aware of their professional and personal development across all aspects of university life. I am currently organising a phone call with the University of Warwick to talk about their excellent Advantage awards and co-curricular opportunities! In addition, I have been meeting with academic departments both within the Faculty of Humanities and across the University of Southampton to make our existing co-curricular and extra-curricular opportunities more visible to students.

Attached to the above work has been the research for and creation of a ‘reflective tool’ that Southampton Humanities students can use to gain a better understanding of the skills they have been developing through different university activities and to identify those that need further improvement. I am still working on this, but have now carried out a lot of research into what has previously been created both nationally and at Southampton, and I am starting work on two versions of the tool. One of these will be interactive (probably online), and the other will be a copy that the student can keep. I am wondering how to create something that will do both simultaneously, so if you know of any ways this can be achieved please get in touch!

As a team we are still working hard on the Southampton Opportunity Project profiles and have another meeting tomorrow with the rest of the interns to see how everyone is progressing. I am also meeting with Career Destinations this week to get their input and permission to include some exciting enterprise opportunities!

I think that’s all from me for now. In my next blog I’ll tell you about my preparations to be ‘Peer Mentoring Coordinator’ from October 2014, but for the moment if you have comments or questions please do not hesitate to contact me @HumsEmployable or C.J.Medland@soton.ac.uk.