Humanities Peer Mentoring – Applications are in!

Good Morning everyone!

The Humanities Peer Mentoring scheme is coming along extremely well. The mentor applications closed on Sunday (17/08), and I am currently in the process of reading through them all. There were an incredible 166 applicants from across our seven departments! Reading through the applications is one of the highlights of this role because it is a great privilege to read students’ reasons and motives for joining the scheme. What’s more, it confirms that the work I am doing is worthwhile and such a scheme is greatly needed and more importantly welcomed by students.

Reading Mentor applications while drinking a herbal tea on a Tuesday evening

One of the questions the students were asked in the application was: “What would you like to gain from being a mentor?”  There were a range of answers to this question. However, a running theme throughout was that students wanted to improve their transferable skills to increase their employability. This shows how aware second and final year Humanities students are of the skills they are developing through their degree, and what skills they need to build upon in order to enhance their employability once they have graduated.

“Being a mentor I’ll be able to extend my communications skills which will help me in my future career.”

“I would like to improve my leadership skills
 the chance to make decisions such as organising group meetings, will really help me develop that skill.”

“I would also like to gain an opportunity to develop my skills, such as communication, leadership and motivation.”

“I would like to gain valuable leadership skills that would help me for my future career as I want to go into Business Management.”

These are just a few examples of students already taking the initiative to get involved in activities which will increase their employability, showing that team Mission Employable’ s aims and actions are on the right path!

I will be informing students whether their application has been successful or not by the end of the month.

That’s all for now! See you again soon.