Topic 2: A reflection

My original post, “Who am I?” written just over a week ago marked the middle of┬ámy two week module on online identities. Through interacting with the class my knowledge for the topic has grown.

By reading┬áSophie’s blog, I quickly discovered we have opposing opinions. I believe┬áwe should present ourselves professionally at all times on the web, Sophie believes we should use┬ásocial media for its social purpose:┬áestablishing we both use social media differently. Though I feel it is important to be authentic in your online identity, I ┬ábelieve that everything you put on the web should be professional, as nothing is completely private.

Interacting┬áwith Catherine’s┬áblog post; I answered┬áthe questions she set herself, allowing me to see┬áthe similarities and differences in the way we use social media. We discovered a lot of similarities in opinion; so began to discuss┬ámaking┬ásure that younger generations know that there online identity is traceable.┬á Catherine pointed out a lot of work has been done to bring this into education! But the main problem is it being down to the individual to put into practice. Catherine suggested a very interesting article on this topic: discussing┬áthe transition from the protected environment of Primary School to Secondary School at the same time as the transition from children’s sites, to┬ásocial media.

It is easy to say ÔÇťalways keep your online identity professional,ÔÇŁ however as Calum┬ásaid:┬á“we are all but human and prone to mistakes and emotional outbursts, even online.” A question I am┬ástill yet to answer, is how do we make sure that our past naivety’s to the web do not affect us later in life? Making┬ásure that┬álike face-to-face interactions, ┬áthat comments can be forgiven and forgotten!