My Farewells: Final Reflection

The title for this module is certainly no hoax, as I have indeed been living and working on the web. The journey has been a great one, allowing me to learn so much about the digital world. All five topics required me to research concepts and ideologies beyond my own experiences and scope. However of course within this blog platform, I’ve been able to express my views freely and exercise my creativity skills.

I’d say the best topic was Topic 3, reasons being it discussed authenticity regarding ones online professional profile, which I never really understood the importance of before the module. Nonetheless, within all the research, I came to understand that building an online professional profile ties in closely with building your own online brand. Francesca particularly made a good point about this, inspiring me to take my LinkedIn account for instance, more seriously. I remember making a LinkedIn account purely for the purpose of this module, being that it was highly encouraged. At first I didn’t fully understand the use of it, however now, I’ve been able to connect with many people I know, even coming across a few job offers in my search for an internship this summer. I guess what I’m trying to say is that this module, and particularly this topic, has opened my eyes to the world of professionalism. This is definitely beneficial for me since potential employers can view all my skills and experiences.

In Topic 1, when learning and discussing White’s (2008) typology about digital residents and digital visitors and how this evolved from Prensky’s (2001) typology on digital natives and digital immigrants, I concluded I laid somewhere in between White’s (2008) more modern typologies. Though I use the web via social media (i.e. Facebook and Twitter), I do also use the web for other more specific tasks (i.e. booking a plane ticket). However now, I do proudly say I am a digital resident and therefore ask this question: for how long can a digital visitor use the web before they do agree that they’re a digital resident? In my opinion someone who uses the web for specific tasks, however very frequently, should qualify as digital resident.

I must say however, my activity on Twitter as of recent has been low. I hardly tweet anymore! However, I do plan to tweet more once my exams are over and my summer commences. To conclude, this module has been one of a kind and very insightful into the digital world. Remember, I only discussed five topics. In this world of rapid technology, I’m certain there’s an infinite number of topics you and I could explore. I do therefore plan to continue to blog and build upon my brand on this platform, as well as on my other online identities (i.e. LinkedIn). Whether it be my professional experiences or a review on techy gadgets, this won’t be the last of me. Thank you for reading!

If you wish to connect with me on LinkedIn my URL can be found in the About Me section, and on this page you can follow me on Twitter.

References

Get ready to be astonished with these future technologies – Amazing new inventions.. 2015. Get ready to be astonished with these future technologies – Amazing new inventions.. [ONLINE] Available at:http://trendingpost.net/trending-technology-news/get-ready-to-be-astonished-with-these-future-technologies-amazing-new-inventions/. [Accessed 14 May 2015].