It’s not goodbye, it’s see you later…

The fact that I am typing these words not only signifies the end of the module UOSM2008 but also the end of second year! It’s amazing and scary, how time flies when you’re one, having fun, and two, growing and developing.

UOSM2008, in my opinion, has been the perfect intersect between academics and individual expression. After coming back from a lecture stressing over how to compute a paired sample t-test on SPSS, it was welcoming to be faced with a new weekly topic, which allowed me to divulge into areas that no other module offers. From online identity to open access, UOSM2008 has enlightened me on topics that I was unaware of, and most importantly how to live and work on the web.

Moreso, the ability to use a number of materials to support my posts has been an element that I will embrace in the future as Moon (2001) states that a “journal that is multidimensional will draw from a range of texts, quotations, pictures, relevant media items and so on” (Watton, Collings and Moon, 2001)

Through this module, I now know more than ever, what the Internet and digital evolution has to offer. As I get older and the employment door is looming, I’ve realised the importance of not only being a consumer of the Internet, but a producer. This is prominent in the way in which I use social media now, compared to prior to the module.  I’ve come quite a way from celebrity retweets to linking my online profiles and also retweeting things that matter on a global scale and what reflects my professional interests.

Screen Shot 2015-05-17 at 19.18.05Screen Shot 2015-05-17 at 19.18.37

Screen Shot 2015-05-17 at 19.29.55

Most importantly, I would like to highlight is that it doesn’t stop here. After completing this module, I aim to take knowledge I’ve gained through my posts, peers posts and commercial awareness and regurgitate it into my working life and future projects. My online profile is definitely still under a considerable amount of construction however and I intend to connect with more people on LinkedIn.

Topic 5 was the most insightful simply due to response, as I realised the value of others comments. Comments from Hayley and Sarah provided me with further information into the topic and it was great to know that my post created some form of buzz and interest. Additionally, Topic 3 was insightful in regards to content and knowledge as I realised the importance of an authentic online profile. After Topic 3, I’ve made it my mission to use my year in industry to further my connections and online identities.

Furthermore, consideration will be made for future presentations in regards to platforms such as Prezi, as this was one of the elements I enjoyed when reading Leigh’s blog posts and Tamara’s.

Throughout it all, the one thing that has stuck with me to this day would have to be Monica Lewinsky’s video.

If you wish to follow me on my journey of implementing the skills and knowledge I’ve learnt on this module, the following links are provided:

LinkedIn

Screen Shot 2015-05-18 at 08.41.11

Twitter

Screen Shot 2015-05-18 at 08.42.54

Personal

Screen Shot 2015-05-18 at 08.38.18

About me

Screen Shot 2015-05-18 at 08.38.26

References:

Monica Lewinsky video: http://www.ted.com/talks/monica_lewinsky_the_price_of_shame?language=en

Watton, P., Collings, J. and Moon, J. (2001). Reflective Writing: Guidance Notes for students. [PDF] p.10. Available at: http://www.exeter.ac.uk/fch/work-experience/reflective-writing-guidance.pdf [Accessed 7 May 2015].