Living and Working on the Web 2015-05-13 10:48:28

It isn’t often a Humanities student completes a module and thinks: wow, what I’ve learnt is really going to help me in my professional career. Unlike analysing literature or studying history, UOSM2008 has given me some solid skills and new ways of thinking that will be directly applicable to my future job.

First and foremost, researching and discussing the weekly topics has provided me with brand new ways of thinking about pertinent questions on Web use that I previously hadn’t even considered. With the rapid growth of the Internet, the vast majority of jobs today require Web use, and as an aspiring journalist, almost all of the topics we covered tied in closely with my future career.

The question of online anonymity made me question whether the administrators of web sites have the right to remove comments. It was a tough issue to tackle, as it essentially puts freedom of speech up against cases of blasphemy and offence. But reading the thoughts of fellow bloggers was really helpful, and come to the conclusion that as long as ground rules for comments are established, any offensive comments should be removed.

Another really interesting topic for me was that of Free Access, where I focussed on the introduction of paywalls and the future of online journalism. Pz