Topic 3: Reflection

social media   n. web sites and applications which enable users to create and share content or to participate in social networking.

The definition of social media, above, is one declared by the Oxford English Dictionary. Nowhere in that definition does it mention the need to use it for professional development, although I can completely relate with the reasoning for doing so. We have manipulated the definition to be beneficial to all those seeking to appear professional, showing astounding flexibility in social media as a tool. Might the paper CV be a dying tradition?

This fortnight’s topic is one that has made consider the ways in which I use the web – more so than the previous few. Upon peer learning through my fellow coursemates blog posts, it was made evident that utilising social media to enhance a professional profile was utmost importance to everyone. Perhaps this is because of our demographics – perpetually desperate students looking to be employed as soon as possible, as mentioned in Olivia’s clear-cutting title.

The guidelines recommended by the cohort are so useful. I particularly liked Aliyu’s idea of having a unique selling point to your personal brand and Irinie’s embedded video contained great LinkedIn tips. Across the group, it appears that the overarching ‘rule’ is to remain consistent, which is most easily achieved by using one profile photo and creating an organised visualisation.

In response to my initial post, Andy thought that the Adam Pacitti stunt could be seen as desperate. However, if I were to completely convert every platform to emulate my professional persona, could that not be interpreted as desperate too? Whilst I am keen to look as employable as possible, I’d being fooling no one into thinking I spend every available moment in enhancing my professional, digital presence. Balance is key!

(299)

Comment Links:

https://paszcza.wordpress.com/2015/03/08/how-i-try-to-create-my-professional-profile/#comments

https://namatsadiqee.wordpress.com/2015/03/08/topic-3-remain-authentic-building-your-online-professional-profile/#comments