Topic 2: Reflective Summary

It has been an interesting discussion over these two weeks since this is an issue which the argument could go both ways and I have enjoyed reading others’ blog posts and have seen a lot of different perspectives on this particular topic.

Namat’s blog post extended my thinking of who have the power of manipulating ones’ online identities. In fact, not only ourselves have the power of controlling our own online identities, others have the power of doing so too. This could be a huge challenge for managing our online identities, as it is impossible to control others’ actions online, hence we cannot control our online presentation completely.

While May’s blog post has mentioned potential serious consequences of using anonymous online identities in an inappropriate way, for example, anonymity can cause cyber bullying. When I said I agree with one having multiple online identities, I have missed out the consideration of these potential consequences of having more than one online identity. Therefore, the question raised at the end of May’s blog post has got me to reconsider my originally thoughts.

Sarah and Tamara’s comments make me think more deeply about the ideas and thoughts that I have discussed in my originally blog post. I have realised that I have missed out some of the important issues and didn’t take them into account, such as anonymity and the needs of legal enforcement.

After looking at different perspectives from others, my thought did alter in a way. Although I still believe there are needs for one to have multiple or anonymous online identities, how to manage and use them in an appropriate way should be our main consideration. It is important that one doesn’t use these identities to do something that would harm or hurt others in a destructive way, but to use those identities in a way that would benefit all parties.

Comment links:

https://namatsadiqee.wordpress.com/2015/02/22/topic-2-one-of-me-or-many-of-me/comment-page-1/#comment-8

https://maybulmanontheweb.wordpress.com/2015/02/22/how-many-mes-can-there-be/comment-page-1/#comment-5