Reflective Summary: Topic 2

This topic has been a bit of a whirlwind for me. The term ‘Multiple Online Identities’ seemed, on the outset, to be such a simple concept, yet there are some really deep questions that much be considered when debating the pros and cons.

While I was quick to consider the concept of online anonymity, I initially thought only about the risks it entails, such as cyberbullying and catfishing.

Tatiana powerfully conveyed these risks through her blog post the dangers of having online multiple identities, from identity theft and cyberbullying to the blurred lines between privacy settings and intellectual property (giving a personal example of a celebrity nabbing her photo).

However, over the course of the week, as I read around the topic more, I started considering the importance of anonymity with regards to its positive effects. I found a study which found that 50% of all anonymous commenters online do so to engage with political debates, while only 5% do so for bullying purposes.

This opened my eyes to the way that anonymity allows for people to engage in discussions on important issues, without the risk of repercussions or personal attacks. I had an interesting discussion with Tatianna in her comments about the idea of online anonymity fostering engagement in intellectual debate, and the fact that it can actually provide a platform of expression for those in country’s that don’t permit free speech.

Jens, in his post, brought up the idea of the ‘choice’ that all Web users must make about whether they maintain one entirely authentic identity, or whether they use the Web as an opportunity to express themselves behind a ‘mask’, rendering them able to communicate what we like.

Personally speaking, I prefer to maintain a single, authentic identity online, and am confident enough that I can communicate my views under my true persona without causing offence or embarrassment to myself.

However, I know that many people do not find themselves in this position- particularly those who want to express something a little more controversial, or indeed those in certain countries around the world who are at risk of punishment if they express their own political opinions.

To wrap up, I would say that the possibility of having multiple online identities and to be anonymous online certainly entails risks. However, to ban anonymity on the Web and confine everyone to an authentic identity would be to remove the aspect of the Web that gives people who feel unable to communicate themselves in the real world the chance to have a voice.