Topic 1: Reflective Summary

When I first saw the question to consider for Topic 1, I instantly thought that I must fall into the category of ā€˜Nativeā€™ in terms of my use of the Web and Technology. However, as I began to research and read ideas presented by Prensky and Cornu and White I started to question whether perhaps the distinctions they were making were perhaps a little too simplistic. Hayleyā€™s info graphic gave a really clear and helpful representation of the distinction between ā€˜Nativesā€™ and ā€˜Visitorsā€™, whilst Tatianaā€™s image was haunting and I felt an accurate portrayal of our dependence on the web.

However, having read many of the blogs linked to this topic I have discovered that I am not alone in terms of not living my entire life online. When I started this module, all of my online profiles were completely private, only friends could view any of the information on them. The information I posted on these sites was, and still is limited. I donā€™t feel that I live my life entirely through the web, although the perception is that a person from my generation should.

The point raised by Namat got me thinking. Sir Tim Berners-Lee invented the Internet over 30 years ago. The more people that ā€˜come onlineā€™, the more it changes in what it can offer and further developments are made. Without lowering the tone too much, I remember being told in an A-Level class at school by a slightly eccentric teacher that the reason the Internet exploded and expanded so rapidly was as a result of the Porn Industry.

This module is definitely impacting already on my use of the Web in order to live my everyday life, Iā€™m already embracing Twitter much more, but having researched the topic of ā€˜Nativesā€™ and ā€˜Visitorsā€™ and read the blogs by others and the comments which resulted from them I feel that Iā€™m not alone in my desire not to be pigeonholed based on the expectations of academics on how I should use the Web.

(336 Words)