Reflective summary on topic 1

When I first saw the question for topic 1, i thought that I fall into the digital visitor class in terms of making use of today’s technology and the Web but as I started my research on this topic and looked at different peoples ideas such as Mr White’s and read the previous years blogs that were written about the same topic, as I gathered more information, It started to change my opinion and agreed that I am more of a digital resident rather than a digital visitor.

Having read other people’s blogs related to the same topic and researched online, I have found out a positive correlation between people and technology, as technology enhances we see an increase on digital residents and we can see now that since the 2000s technology has been improving tremendously and, there are more social media being created and more people becoming members and creating accounts with them, for example: Facebook, snap chat, Tumbler etc.

Everyone had different point of views about how older people using the Web and the Internet but the point raised by Mr Aliyu Aliyu which was said by David White, “Age is not the predominant factor in the successful engagement with digital technology and the web. But on our motivation to engage”. To back this up he give an example of an 82 year old lady being a member on twitter and having more than 2000 followers, this has really changed my point of view as I used to think the older you get the less you will use the internet.

To conclude having to read my colleagues point of views and comment on their blogs I personally believe that this topic was an interesting subject to work on and I think I have fully understood the concept of both, digital resident and digital visitors.