Topic 1: Reflection

I think it’s safe to say that being a Media student at A-Level definitely played it’s part on my first post for UOSM2008. Throughout A-Level Media ‘digital natives’ is regularly used to define the people of today. I think this showed in my response and to an extent provided me with a narrow outlook. Coming across digital residents and visitors allowed me to have a broader view.

When I initially read the characteristics of a digital Resident, I immediately said “yes, that’s me!”. As a new fashion/style blogger (SincerelyNYAO) and self proclaimed ambassador for all things social media, I was sure that this illustrated how I’ve created an online profile, making me a resident. I also read the characteristics of a visitor and immediately thought of the older generation. However, now to think of it, many of the older generation are becoming knowledgeable on interacting with the web and creating online profiles in order to ‘keep up’ with the younger generation.

Reading other blog posts and comments made, enabled me to acknowledge the fact that there is more to what I studied at A-Level and White and Cornu’s concept. Defining users of the web purely as natives..immigrants..residents or visitors merely isn’t enough. In addition, even though I wish I had read more on the topic, reading other blog posts and commenting furthered my understanding. It was great to see how everyone approached the same question.

In particular, Cherriesun1’s awareness of the fact that whether you’re a resident or a visitor depends on your life-stage was really important in allowing me to understand the overall concept. Even though being a blogger requires me to form an online community, being a student also requires me to use the internet as a means to an end.

Comment Links:

https://cherriesun1.wordpress.com/2015/02/08/topic-1-digital-residents-and-digital-immigrants/comment-page-1/#comment-1

https://tatianasieff.wordpress.com/2015/02/08/was-i-born-online/