Topic 1: Reflective Summary

Before wring my first blog post for UOSM2008, I have never heard of the terms “digital residents” and “digital victors”, or even digital “native” and “immigrants”. But after I have done some reading on this topic, putting my thoughts out on my blog and reading others opinions on this aspect, I have learnt some much more and have a more holistic and better understanding about this topic. From the blog posts I have read, I particularly enjoyed reading Saber Hamidi’s blog post since he explained these concepts with lots of real life examples, which makes it very easy to understand the distinction between all these terms.

Other than gaining a better understanding of these categories or labels, I have also realised that there are links between the typology and how this can affect our learning.

As a university student, it is important to actually find the best methods and ways for myself to learn effectively since there is so much to take in for the university courses; it is vital to actually find an efficient way of learning. By knowing whether I am a visitor or resident, I can then use the best methods to achieve my goals. Nowadays, our society is becoming more dependence on the Internet, we do a lot of things online and we use the web to aid achieving certain goals. As a student, I think I am using both the residents and the visitors approaches to aid my learning. I use the Internet as a tool when I have to search for journals that are relevant to my essay topics or aspects that lecturers have discussed with us in classes. On the other hand, I use the web as a platform to express my own thoughts and opinions too. Just like this UOSM module, I have to express my thoughts on my blog and commenting on the others’ work. In this case, I am using more of a resident approach for my learning since it involves expressing myself and interacting with others online.

In my opinion, I think there is not a specific category or approach for individuals. Instead, one should take different approach depends on their motivations and tasks they wanted to achieve. This way, we can benefit from learning effectively by using the most suitable and appropriate method.

Comment links:

https://irinieopoku.wordpress.com/2015/02/08/topic-1/#comments

https://saberhamidi.wordpress.com/2015/02/07/topic-1-digital-visitors-and-residents/