Bastien Terraz Concert

Bastien Terraz is a freelance double bass and electric bass player and teacher based in Southampton. He is a Southampton University music graduate (BA 2001, MA 2002) and has taught Jazz & Pop bass in the department since 2001.

Bastien Terraz Double Bass & Electric Bass Player & Teacher www.bastienterraz.com
Bastien Terraz
Double Bass & Electric Bass Player & Teacher
www.bastienterraz.com

I’ll be playing the Monday lunchtime concert on March 14th this year. Now, I’ve done this about 5 or 6 times before, and whilst I’ve led or co-led the band almost every time in the past, this time it’s going to be a little different. I’m once again leading the band, but for the first time, this isn’t a jazz project. This is a new band that has come out of my love of rock and songs, and of the gypsy jazz I’ve been playing over the last 5 years. It’s an attempt at a fusion of those 3 things, so a considerable proportion of the music is original, and has been (at time of writing is still being!) written specifically for this band. I’ve not done that before. And as they’re songs, I’m also now technically a lyricist, which again I’ve not done before. And I’m the band’s singer, which I have done before, but not since I was 12. So it’s a big leap into the unknown for me. So far, rehearsals have gone well, and it’s exciting to hear my ideas actually turn into songs, in no small part due to the input of the 2 fantastic musicians who’ve somehow agreed to accompany me on this bizarre adventure. Oh, and did I mention this will be our first ever public performance?