Music in the community

Finalist Sarah Newell tells us about some of the work she is involved with the local community:

On the 7th of June, I had the opportunity to perform at MenCap, Southampton. It was a wonderful experience to play for MenCap, especially as they are a charity working for such a great cause. I played acoustic pop set as well as some of my own originals. The crowd were very welcoming and everyone seemed to enjoy the music. This cute little cafĂ© provides a great service for its customers, with yummy homemade food and drink, as well as work experience for adults with disabilities. If you’re ever around in Portswood on a Wednesday do check it out CafĂ© Down the Lane it won’t disappoint! [check out harpist Abi Piercy performing this Wednesday…]

Since January last year I have been involved with Age UK Southampton’s, befriending scheme. This is a scheme to help the older generation in a community feel less isolated and lonely. Since starting this I have had the privilege of getting to know an older woman, who has not only taught me how to knit she has introduced me to all sorts of new music. In addition to this I have been able to help her with using her laptop and introduced her to the panini!

Listening to music is something that every generation has in common and being able to play and sing music with her is very rewarding and fun. If anyone has a free hour in a week spare apply for the befriending scheme, I have learnt so much since starting volunteering with this amazing charity; and being able to help bridge the gap between the generations is a much needed and fulfilling thing!