Jo’s project – Ecosystem impacts of pika management

Hi everyone! It is time for my final blog post, which means the year has come to an end and I have finally finished my research project! Whilst there were challenges along the way, the experiences, particularly those from the data collection period, were fantastic and I wouldn’t have wanted to miss one second of this amazing opportunity. Let me tell you a bit about what I have been doing over the last few months, I carried out my research project in China…

Ecosystem impacts of pika management in high elevation areas of China

The aim of the study was to examine eventual differences in terms of abundance on a broad range of species that are directly dependent on pika (Ochotona curzoniae) in a landscape subjected to chemical and biological control of pika populations. Pika have been subject to an aggressive poisoning campaign in China since 1958. They are being poisoned as they are considered a pest by locals and are believed to compete with livestock for forage and cause land degradation. For my thesis I recorded the differences between the abundance of avian, lizard and pika species under the two treatment types, poison and non-poison in conjunction with artificial perches. Furthermore, I identified raptor species, which make use of artificial perches and how they impact other community species. The outcome of this thesis reveals interesting and interpretable patterns in the grassland ecosystem species assemblages associated with pika, which are subjected to poisoning and biological control within Yanchiwan National Nature Reserve. The results of this thesis can be used to educate Yanchiwan’s managers and pastoralists on the diverse ecological roles and the positive impacts of pika in order to change public attitudes and correct misconceptions that continue to fuel eradicating programs.

Discussing methodology

Camera trap photo of an upland buzzard (Buteo hemilasius)

The work in the field would not have been possible without the great team I was part of, who worked tirelessly and never complained. Our drivers and the locals invited us into their homes and to local events and always made us feel welcome. I got to experience how tough and how challenging fieldwork can be, but also how rewarding. I also got to learn about an interesting and completely different culture, make some new friends and to fall in love with a new country, new people and new wildlife.

The team!

Enjoying a meal

This project and the whole MRes degree has taught me so much. I got to know myself much better this year and I have gained so many new skills and experiences. I do not know yet what lies ahead for me, but I can say for certain that I am very excited for it and looking forward to it with confidence! Good luck to the new students – you can do it. And a big thank you to Marwell.

— Jo

Posted By :